As I’ve been so successful the past few days, I now think I’ve got macarons down! Until the next time I try and they fail miserably XP
1 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
2 medium egg whites, aged if possible.
¼ cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla/2 table spoons cocoa *** when adding the flavours, add wet ones like vanilla to the egg white mixture and dry ones like cocoa to icing sugar/ground almonds.
Butter cream filling
3/4 cup icing sugar
about 50 g softened unsalted butter
1 tablespoon milk
100 g chocolate (I like Whittaker’s creamy milk)
1/2 cup cream
Preheat oven to 150°C.
Line baking sheets with baking paper.
Set up your piping bag with a round tip in a tall glass.
1. In a food processor blend the icing sugar and ground almond.
2. Sift the icing sugar/almond mix three times in to a bowl and set aside.
3. Whip egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add caster sugar. Keep whipping until glossy with firm peaks.
4. Fold a third of the almond mixture into meringue using cutting and scooping actions. Continue until all the almond mixture is incorporated. This is a crucial step, undermixing will make your macarons peak and crack and overmixing will make it too runny to pipe. You want it to be like lava.
5. pipe circles onto baking sheets. Once you are done whack the baking sheet on the bench to get rid of air pockets. Leave macarons to sit for 30-40 mins.
6. Bake for 10-15 mins.
7. Leave the macarons on the baking paper and put on a wire rack.
For the frosting, mix all ingredients together and add colouring if you’d like.
Sandwich macaron halves together. Yay! Done!