My sister bought a recipe magazine from the supermarket and insisted that I make her Grasshopper Pie.
And so I did.
This is a pie made from marshmallows, cream and mint. It was really sweet and while tasty, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to make it again.
For the pie shell:
150 g oreos
100 g dark chocolate (I used whittakers)
50 g melted butter
crush the oreos (I blended mine, but you could wrap them in a tea towel and go over them with a rolling pin until they were crushed) , melt the butter and dark chocolate and mix until it resembles pie pastry.
For the filling:
3 cups white marshmallows
1/2 cup whole milk
few drops peppermint essence
1 1/2 cups thickened cream
Green food coloring, optional
and a peppermint crisp to decorate, you could also use mint aero.
1. Blend or process the cookies and chocolate in a food processor until they form a crumb mixture. Add the butter and process until the mixture starts to clump together.
2. Press the mixture into a tart pan. I made 4 individual pies. Make sure the base is not too thick and it is smooth.
3.Melt the marshmallows in a saucepan over low gentle heat along with the milk. Once the milk starts to foam (not boil), take off the heat and keep stirring until the marshmallows blend into the milk to make a smooth mixture. This takes forever, be patient and keep stirring.
4. Once they’re all nice and melty, leave to cool and then whisk in the peppermint essence.
5. Whisk up the cream until it holds soft peaks, and then add in the cooled marshmallow mixture.
6. Halve the mixture and add in the green food colouring.
7. Drop green and white mixture into chilled pie crusts and swirl with a tooth pick.
8. Leave to chill for 4 hours. Once you’re ready to serve, crumble a peppermint crisp over the top.